Saturday, February 22, 2020

Two Weeks Until Time Change!

Two weeks today we will 'spring ahead' with our clocks & the days are already noticeably getting longer. The sun is bright these days which helps lift one's spirit & with the month of spring just around the corner, excitement is building with the thought of Mother Nature coming to life once more & the thought of colour other than the colour of winter is exciting! Snow stays in the NE corner for a long time, last year it was the 1st week of June when the last of the large snowdrift was gone. The thought of the sight, seeing the ground for the first time after viewing snow makes the heart sing.

 Pink is such a soft colour to look at with everything white outside. This Arymalis find has lastest for weeks of enjoyment for me. The best $3.00 I've ever spent!

Then the Brampton kids, Leslie & Nicholas, surprised me with this spring gnome, she is adorable holding her carrot. Who loves carrots? The Jim Shore rabbit does & they look great together!

The great room table has a new covering for the upcoming Easter, a place that we can entertain with tea, coffee & goodies with the bright sunlight in that room.

I don't think I shared my wee cat that is made from scrap strips then cut out in the shape of a cat. The pattern is a Kim Diehl from her book Simple Charm.

The crochet christening gown is coming along nicely & I've reached the 14" skirt length & then a lacey edge is added. The sleeves are made next but I'm thinking to do the sleeves then see what is left to get another few inches into the length of the gown. I think I want to make the bonnet too but only have what is left on that ball of cotton crochet thread. Decisions, decisions.
I have mastered the 'V' stitch doing this!

 The spring/Easter pillow for the guest room is now finished! It's a Bonnie Sullivan pattern from her book A Change Of Seasons, something for every season. If you love working with wool, this designer is for you!

 I love how it enhances the silk April Cornell bedding in the room with the warmth of the hand appliqued, yes, no machine was used putting the applique pieces on the wool. The 2008 Babylock sewing machine is in being serviced & awaiting a new hook. Last time I had it serviced it needed new feed dogs, I wore them down & they were round! lol, the service tech said he'd never seen that before! I sew nearly every day & that machine is my favourite!

I used unfinished batik for the edging, it is tightly woven & has a light edging look that coordinated beautifully with the bedding. I added butterfly buttons among the flowers & pastel beads to the rabbit's bow.

Needle Felting A Badger

 I've been looking for a badger pattern to needle felt as Bill loves the badger.
I found this on Pinterest & had the challenge of translating it to English & to figure out the order into the way it was to be sewn together. It also needed a seam allowance.
The pattern was small so I used felted wool & hand sewed it together.

 I had a small nose that would compliment the badger as the pattern had on that was gathered & sewn to the end.

 Rexton was upset that I was using the foam for felting the black & white wool roving onto the badger. She was enjoying the soft warmth of that foam on the granite counter!

 I added beaded eyes & felted the ears pink & felted in a top overcoat to the badger. Bill really likes it!

I've been felting curly sheep wool loosely onto the sheep & I'm pleased with that effect too!

 Staying with the black/white in this house... Baxter & Bridget have new spring collars made from chintz samples that I've had for years.

 Bill is always taking them out in the truck & I want them to look dapper! lol, They adore him & shadow his every move once he is dressed, they figure a truck ride will soon be for them!

They listen to every instruction that he may have for them & await the words 'Truck ride'.

 The Stained Glass Newsletter had this cute snowman pattern in it so I made him.
This is the silver sodering side before the black patina...

 This is the side with the black patina & the edging that reminds me of a postage stamp.
I really like the black patina as it makes the colours & composition come to life.

I took on two new students this winter & they too are doing the same tulip as last year's students.
I enjoy seeing the colours that they choose for their flowers. The copper foiling is done here & the next class will be fluxing & sodering, ending with black patina. Great job so far!

 Heather & I were on day-tripping & I found these two candle holders at Open Door Antiques. I knew as soon as I saw them that it was Williamsburg VA pottery. Bill & I have been to the colonial village a couple of times visiting his sister & family. I looked at the bottom of the holders & sure enough, it was from there! What a find that day s everything was 30% off, two candleholders for $7, my lucky day!
The candles are from Crabtree & Evelyn's warehouse sale, a whole box for 95 cents! A box of each colour was purchased back in the '90s & now are enjoyed in these candle holders!

Aloe Plants Breath Again!

With Bill home every other week, we are doing so many projects together. This one project was a big one for me to take on alone & I'm so glad to have a handsome & handy husband!

 From two aloe plants, these are the pups! There was so much crowding in the pots & I know the original & the pups are happy to breathe their stalks out again!

These will be planted next week once they dry up a bit & we purchase more soil for them to be planted in.

 Here is the aloe plant after the pups left, it is huge & will enjoy having space & new soil added to it!

 This one had two very large pups in it & it too will enjoy the space & soil that it now has!

Thank you for stopping by & I hope you too are looking forward to the time change & longer days that are just around the corner. It all begins two weeks today on March 8th with the time change(except Saskatchewan)! I've so many clocks to change & I know it is just one hour of change but it does affect so many, I think Saskatchewan has it right!
 Let It Be.

Something to make you laugh!

Have a great week wherever you are!
Cynthia








2 comments:

  1. I can't believe February is almost over. The month went so quickly but we are enjoying more daylight here. The guest room pillow is lovely - we have bleeding hearts in the backyard at home and a white pet rabbit inside. Love the big smile at the end of the post, did you end up getting the sign?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last picture is the best one xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete