Tuesday, February 4, 2020

February Fondness & Memories

Wow, this winter is flying by & the nights are showing hopefulness with the sunsets glowing into 6pm now. In our NE area, the weather has not been as harsh as last year, however, it is the last of February & first of March that I remember the deep snow & time will tell.

 I'm looking forward to spring & found this cement robin in Open Doors Antique Shop. Bill placed it next to the wool needlework & it really came to life!

 We are still unpacking our moving boxes & finding many treasures. These are encyclopedias dated 1888 from a yard sale in PEI on our 1995 visit.

 I removed the dust & gave the book covers a drink & they came out pretty good. I love reading history & the information that was available back in 1888.

 These books came from the USA & have a lot of their information on it, the world maps are interesting & oh, how time has changed the world. I was excited to see these books as it is information 21 years after our Canada Confederation of 1867.

 Bill enjoyed my cleaning area as his laptop table... a modern life use. lol

Bill's Handy Work

 Bill painted the vintage bed in black & wow, it looks great!

 From the finale, you can see the wood colour it once had. The bed has been through several moves & it was showing signs of wear. It looks like new now!

Great job Bill, thank you! XO

The Pop Shoppe & Our Connection

In 1998 Bill & I purchased the Pop Shoppe factory in London ON to expand the elevator business that we had started in 1988. We would put our heart & soul into this expansion until the recession in 2008.
In that factory building that were many leftover pieces & expired products. One-piece caught my eye & we've moved with it out here. Bill was never fond of it but knew my passion for its form & colour & finally this week he hung it in our home!

It is a large heavy piece that is done on plywood & has added dimension to it with the use of plaster.

 The area is open on the foyer glass railing mezzanine & gives it space to be seen from both levels.

The artist is R. Duvall & he has signed the front of this art piece. This is what appears on the back of the work & it seems that this installation has have travelled across Canada in juried shows placing 1st & 2nd back in 1979.

I sent some time with mixing paints to cover the chips & cracks that have affected the original look over the years. Very pleased with the outcome was Bill & he said it could now hang in our home.
I enjoy the history of our purchase of such a building & the use we gave it for the next decade of its life. It was purchased & used as a factory making cork products after Richardson Access Elevator Inc. And this artwork is now hung to enjoy & our story of the Pop Shoppe reno.

Happy Birthday Dad XO

Today is my dad's birthday, had he lived past 2000, he would be 92 years old. Wow, now I feel old!

I miss him & know that he is with as long as I hold on to his memory, he will hold on to me.
I had the 23 & Me done & have 57% of his DNA, miss you dad, Happy Birthday!

Valentine Day Decorating 💘

Bill brought the large red bin from the basement that had the Valentine Day Decor in it.
What fun to see some of the things that I had made years back.

These two muslin rabbits are dressed in their finest cotton velvet dress & overalls. Their little shoes are from 1988 & were Mitchell's cloth shoes when he was a baby, red velvet & white/red gingham.
They nestled quite nicely in the antique wicker rocking chair.

Back in the day, I had also made red velvet hearts that were hung throughout the house.

I loved the chocolate boxes that were given out on that special day, I still have mine. :-)

Red velvet is such an elegant lining in this metal hinged box.

The top of that metal box has a cupid taking aim & lovely flowers around the cupid.

A red velvet bell pulls that I made from a piece of Valentine satin ribbon.

I made this small quilt from Liz's collection of Yukon hangers, it is enhanced with the pink flowers.

I made this runner last week with orphan blocks & added the black/white stripe to liven it up!
An IKEA fleece pillow with a heart sends the Valentine Day message of love. I know Bridget & Baxter love being on that bench to look outside!

Hello! See me taking the photo this morning? This is a grapevine wreath that I made years back & added IKEA cross-stitched hearts & glass beaded beads & hearts from the Bombay years back.

The kitchen/dining room has the most decorating done & it really stands out with the black/white decorating that I've been doing this winter.

I've started the drapes for the bay window, so far just the center valance that is lined & made from a table runner for $12. A valance would cost much more!

I use to make these draft stopping, hanging dolls back in the '80s, her legs would spread across the bottom of the door & she was hung on the doorknob when not in use. Doors in most houses are now much more efficient, we were living in a century home at that time  & she was used!

The Royal Doulton Valentin plate, back when Doulton had things made in England. This one is dated 1977 & is lovely with floral texture & the scene of loving & caring.

The red velvet place mat holds several Valentine votive candles that add to Valentine's Day look on the table.

I've finally finished the project of the embroidered Valentine girl, it only took 10 years!

This is the hand-sewn wool project that I'm currently working on. Spring is just around the corner & I'm really looking forward to seeing the robins, rabbits, daffodils, & bleeding hearts again!
Not that I'm wishing my life away, I just love the splendour of nature waking up after a long white winter.

Thank you for stopping in for a visit.
I hope winter is being kind to you, if not, remember that 'This too will pass'.
Canada has the wonder of seasons with no two the same but each one has its own splendour. Enjoy!

Have fun with this season as it is half over with just 6 weeks until spring!
Cynthia



1 comment: