Friday, February 22, 2019

Staying Busy To Pass The Days Of Winter Away

This season has to be the longest! Snow started in October & accumulated in November then never left! I've been doing my best to stay busy & focused into spring. Although U is for Unicorn has not been touched, this snow weekend is going to be a productive one working on just that quilt of 42 blocks of extensive applique & embroidery... focus!
Easier said than done.

 Back in early 2000, I was presented with this one of a kind fused glass Degas styling ballerina by Bison, a company that we did importing for through our company Richardson Acess Elevator Inc. I knew the artist, Marilyn O'Keeffe of Consent England, she was most helpful & I always enjoyed visiting her shop when I was in England on business.
This treasured piece had a bit of an accident when my son Nicholas swatted a fly on the window & the ballerina when flying through the air & hit the ceramic floor & became many shattered pieces.
This week whilst working with several of my students the idea came to me...
I'll foil the pieces back together! I had saved all the pieces to place her into a cement stepping stone for the garden but this idea seemed much more fitting & I had all the pieces!!!
I've started to grind the sharp edges & will show the next step of foiling next week.
Some things just have a way of working out!

And some a way of digging out!
Here is my winter wonderland as seen from inside the house.


 The great room garden doors to the sunporch, look at the height of snow on the outside deck through the 54" x 54" windows! No view out those windows till spring thaw.

 The great room window looking east. The snow pile is on the blueberry bush that is beneath a sandwich board for protection.

The dining room bay window that overlooks the Miramichi Bay, spring thaw will bring that view into place too. 26 days till spring!

This is a view from the laundry room door to the side pen that was made for Baxter & Bridget. They cannot leave the dugout area of the porch & now run where the plow has opened the parking lot out front of the house. It is a winter wonderland here & more snow on the way this weekend!

Day Dreaming of Spring's Sights & Smells
 
 On grocery day I put these two hyacinth bulb plants in the grocery cart, a glimpse into the future.

 And they look & smell heavenly too!

 With St. Patrick's Day coming up next month I started working on green outfits for the geese on the porch. I used Mary Maxiums Goose pattern & modified it by adding stripes & arms put into pockets.

 This is the knit sweater that is being used this time of the year. It was purchased in London ON where the cement geese came from but they've gone out of business. This is knit & I've crocheted the green one, it took two full green Briggs & Little skeins to make the sweater & hat & two other skeins were used as accent colours.

I'm going to make a dress & scarf hat with this t-shirt knit fabric for the other goose, I have some green beads to accessorize with this outfit too! lol
They have not had a green St. Paddy's Day outfit, till now.
My Irish Grandma, God Bless Her, would've had the biggest smile seeing these! XO

 The Regatta is now left to just hooking the blue water & it's more difficult to get the tightness near the ends. This is so close to being done for the summer days ahead in the sunporch.

 My very talented friend Deb painted this picture & gave it to me for Christmas several years ago. It was packed away with the move out east & last week Bill & I were unpacking one of many boxes & when I saw it I couldn't believe how wonderful it was going to enhance the great room's new teal colour of velvet drapes. I showed it to some of my girlfriends & one of them got goosebumps looking a the picture in the great room & how it was just meant to be! Great talented find from a great friend! XO Sure feels like home!

Thank you for the visit, I hope you have a wonderful safe warm weekend wherever you are.
We are bracing for another snow storm this weekend & I can be found in either my sewing studio or my stained glass studio, either way, it is KYROTIME!!

"To be an artist is a privilege. To ignore artistic urges is immoral."
                                                               John Hubbell - human artist, sculptor, architect



2 comments:

  1. I love the goose sweaters! 🍀☘️
    We don’t have nearly as much snow but I’m ready for Spring to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a really snowy winter and it's been snowing here too. The snow turned to freezing rain this evening. I hope we don't get as much as they predicted.
    I see you keep busy with your crafts. I love that painting. Such a generous friend to give you that painting.
    Stay warm and safe.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete