Saturday, June 2, 2018

June Has Arrived With Summer!

Yesterday was the 1st of June & the weather has been gorgeous here at the shore!
Today is much-needed rain for the flowering budding gardens, I'll be going out with my camera to share the beauty with you tomorrow.

My back is so much better & I've had to slow down a bit and the creativity was spurred on!

 I had so much pain after sitting so I figured out a way of being productive whilst standing... in front of the ironing board with a gorgeous view of the water to view, bonus!

 The cornerstones of the Mystery Garden 2018 quilt have had the buttonhole stitch stitched to them since this photo.

 Another quilt block has been completed... one more to do to the body of the quilt!

 This appliqued piece was quite the challenge, I now notice in the photo that the back wheel is wonky!

 Some of the flowers are done...

 The bottom block goes on the top of the quilt, you can see how many more flowers need to be worked & one more block to complete! Then the side borders will go on & voila! It will be ready to be quilted & bound.

The Carroll Cottage - 1950-2018

The cottage has been taken down, it was no longer structurally safe nor safe to occupy.
It was a sad day to see the end of one era but it will be the being to another era for the communities future.
 Bill & I are building an apartment building on this site. It is much needed in this community as we age & no longer want the responsibility of a house & the work it entails, inside & out season after season. The apartments here have waiting lists & no one wants to move away from their rural community & live in the city. This is Bill's senior job security & he will have time to be in his shop too, it's a win-win!
The apartments will have controlled entry, inside mail delivery, a common room, laundry room, storage lockers, open concept living room/kitchen with a patio door for brightness in that area.
Bill will also have his office located inside the apartment building. We're leaning on the opening this fall November 2018!
That too is the date that I'll be opening Kyrotime Stained Glass, where I'll teach copper foiling stained glass & sell supplies too. That will be a joy for me to be back with colour, design, & likeminded people!
This year is whizzing by & we're nearly 1/2 way through it already!

The window & doors were removed to be used in the 'Guys Bunkie' in our woods & the windows that had the flower boxes will be installed in the potting shed to allow more light inside.
The laminate click flooring was removed & installed in the Hardwicke House sunporch that had painted plywood, the new flooring gives it such a finished look.








 The large window was added to the pile from the Hardwicke House, that is the window that was in the kitchen & had NO header supporting the 2nd story on it! We were going to use it as a hothouse wall but it was stored next to the shop & the idea of the snow/ice falling from the steel roof was not taken into consideration. Oops.

And then there was none.
The process of the house removal started at 8am & finished at 2pm!
Now you see it... now you don't.

The apartment construction will begin this month & I'll blog the upcoming exciting new venture!


 I have been working with this knitted fiber that my girlfriend  Cecile gave me. Cecile is a loom weaver & had this fiber that she gave me, saying 'With your rugs, you could probably use it.'

 I had planned to use it with the Mustang rug & after playing with it & other fibers, I'm going too!

 I have this much of the round center done. The rug project has been worked in with the heating pad treatments on my sciatic pain in my back.

And when I'm not using the heating pad, old Tommy is. I sandwiched it between 2 small quilts & he sleeps the day away on the warmth. Next month is his 20th birthday & his circulation has slowed down and the warmth feels good on him. He survived the cold long winter here, thank goodness for the longer warmer sunny days ahead.


I'm pleased with the logo outcome done in Briggs & Little yarn. The grey is done in 80% wool & 20% polyester to help with the durability as it is a rug.
 There is not the thickness difference I thought there might be with this knit fabric crotcheted.

 I was leaning on the polyester fabric to use on the outer rim of the circle & to my amazement, both crotcheted fabrics have the same thickness!

                         I'm going to incorporate all three into the rug design, it's going to look stunning!

Chaos = Change


 The kitchen/dining area has been full of sunporch furniture as the floor was installed this week.

 The dining room & some island area has been housing the chaos from this change.

 And here is the sunporch area with the laminate flooring that was installed in the upstairs at the Carroll Cottage in 2009. There was just enough with a few boards to spare!
This is where the IKEA wrought iron daybed will be installed for lazy afternoons & Mitchell William will be here on Thursday night to try it out! With all three boys home at the same time, beds are scarce. Rest & relax & enjoy the summer breeze!

 The red BC cedar shingles have been installed & the baseboards are being put on today.

 You can see the trio of colours, the very top is the original bright yellow paint, then the Benjamin Moore, Manchester tan, & the new BC shingles.


The painters will be coming in this week to fill & prime then paint the entire room in a soft white color. Then the furniture will go in & the whole Hardwicke House will be done!

Just the stain glass room to organize & my girlfriend Pat will be coming to help me with that.
Pat can stay on task with projects & is a great organizer too. We all have our strengths & hers compliments mine. It will be great having her company too!

Thank you for stopping by for a visit!
Enjoy the warm summer months as they move through the calendar so fast.

See you next post with outside photos of natures beauty. Hard to believe that it was all snow covered & has come to life so fast. The rain today is warm & light, making things look so green & lush!
Spring & soon summer, have arrived!

Have a great week!
Cynthia










2 comments:

  1. I'm glad your back is feeling better. Wow, it takes a lot less time to tear down than to built. You are always so full of projects and your future still looks very busy with the the new building and the stain glass business. Your quilt is looking beautiful.

    I'm still digging out of the flood mess. It's been one step forward and two steps back but I'm slowly making progress.

    I got the Gazebo cleaned out yesterday and dug out 5 full wheelbarrow of sand on the patio blocks and I still have to deal with the pathway but it's has so much sand and top-soil all mixed up.

    Yesterday was 30℃ but today is cool.
    I can't believe we are already in June.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luv Luv Luv the bicycle block - very trendy right now. Your life always seems to have some chaos in it, now mine has too! Check my blog to find out my details, but want to tell you about my serendipitous Tuesday. My sister and I were at my condo talking with a lady who will be making slipcovers for my couch & chair. She was looking around and said "I see you like antiques, are any for sale? I have a sister who has a booth in Strathroy can I call her". Well, 3 hours and a crazy flurry later she & her sister left with a ton of stuff and I was $1,000.00 richer ! Woohoo !!They're coming back Saturday to pick up the big pieces of furniture and the Limoges and my Aynsley china, though of you when I sold these 2 sets.

    ReplyDelete