Saturday, January 14, 2023

First Storm of This Year

 Well, Atlantic Canada got its first storm this year of snow followed by freezing rain followed by rain. We have had such mild temperatures & with just 85 days until Easter, this winter is going to go by fast!

I got two of my quilts done the day before the storm & I am really pleased with how they turned out!

This is the Autumn Harvest quilt & the border print that was leftover was cut into 300 -  2.5"squares for the scrappy Irish Chain quilt that I'm working on now.
Rose is going to do edge-to-edge leaves quilting on the longarm, it will really complement the falling of the leaves from the top to the bottom in this autumn quilt.
It was a fun sew-along & it is the only way I would have done this quilt as it was like eating an elephant one bite at a time. The next sew-along is in February & will be tradition baskets, I'm in!

The Lori Holt -  Scrappiness Is Happiness 32-week quilt along, I finished mine as it was taking up way too much of my sewing room after week 10. I'm onto more projects for this spring!
I added some personalized touches to this quilt pattern.

How sweet is this Boston?! He was in my Christmas stocking from Nick & Leslie & I love him in this quilt, he is my Boris Loree.

Then the house has Bridget Loree & Baxter Loree coming to the door, a very frequent happening here daily. When they come in they get a treat so they love leaving to come through the door for a treat!

I ordered some KYROTIME labels to put on things that I make. Kyrotime is my happy place! And the sewing machine for my sewing & the flower basket for the love of the garden both make my heart sing!

I've been working on Mitch & Nicole's wedding signature banner to take to them this Easter. It is getting there with just a few more modifications. I used Civil war reproduction prints & scraps from the wedding quilt I made them. Each patterned square will finish at 16".

Scrappy Irish Chain

I was not going to do this but it called out to me as the perfect pattern to use the Williamsburg Exploration fat quarters that I have been fondling for twenty years. 
989 2.5" squares are needed for this and another 300 of the brown from the Autumn Harvest scraps, with a linen-like fabric that Jocelyne gifted me years back to make a curtain. 
This is a quilt along with Fabric Cupboard in Moncton NB that just spoke to me...

Maybe it was a need for the muted dark colours to ground me after using the bright happy fabrics from Lori Holt of Bee In My Bonnet. Fabric is colour much like friends, some are loud & happy others are quiet & more sombre, it is wonderful to have choices to play with as winter now here.

Each block has 81 blocks & there will be 13 of them! Sew much sewing to do now & choices of placement, I will want an easy no thinking quilt after this one!

I love the texture of the brown fabric with the linen fabric, it is going to have such a wonderful look!

An old world fee is what I'm trying to achieve, time will time but so far I am pleased with the colour & texture choices.
Rexton wanted in on the action too & grounded the main fabric with her approval! lol

The larger fat quarters are going to be made into cushion covers that will look great on the brown leather furniture in the great room!

With Christmas put away, I leave the RH birch up to give light to the dark days & it really looks nice at night! 
These hearts were at Urban Nest for 50% off as Christmas ornaments, I used them for decor for our New Year's dinner & will leave them up for Valentine's Day. They are very well made & double-sided!!

The backyard view of the morning before the storm, red sky in the morning, sailor take warning.
I loved the warm hue with the cold snow & the fringe of the island's evergreens separating the colours.

Thank you for stopping in for a visit, I'm glad you came by to see what I was up to & creating.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend followed by a great week!
Stay healthy this cold & flu season & happy with whatever makes your heart sing!

Hugs,
Cynthia xXx

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cynthia, your quilts are always works of art. You are definitely a pro at piecing quilts. It must keep you very busy during the winter months. I've slowed down this winter and didn't get much hooking done. I just finished putting Christmas decorations away.
    It looks like you have a lot more quilts to make.
    Are you still teaching stain glass?
    The weather is not looking good for the weekend. I may do a bit of hooking today.
    Take care, hugs.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete