Sunday, January 29, 2023

Cold & Icy With Sew Days!

 We weather has been cold with slippery icy days that make me very nervous about walking about outside.

So for now I shovel the front porch for outside activity & stay warm & cozy inside!


I finished the Scrappy Irish Chain 90" x 90" only to have fellow quilters, thoughtfully point out that some blocks were turned!


I was so thankful!! There's another in the bottom left side too! This quilt was at the longarm quilter to be quilter until I called & asked to hold it until I come to 'fix & unsew those squares'.
It really pays to look at the finished work through a lens! 
All 989 scrappy squares & 300 dark brown squares were sewn to natural linen, oh my, what was I thinking?! I was so pleased that the fat quarters finally had a wonderful complimenting project!

And from the numerous scraps cut for that quilt that was leftover, I made a 22" square quilted pillow cover & a sweetheart accent pillow. 


I started to do the final placement of the wedding signature banner from the wedding of our son to our new DIL Nicole on October 11, 2020. 
I need the whole area free of pets to do the photo & then a full day for sewing all the blocks together.
I am comfortable in working with muted colours from the past but also enjoy working with the bright colours of the 30s & the colours of today. I love colour in every hue!

This is the free February SAL that I'll be sewing together each week.

And it is Kitty Approved by Rexton the Manx!
I pulled from my stash to make this one too! And the background will be a custard yellow with blue baskets from a sale fat 1/4 I purchased a few years back & have admired as I love the colour blue.

My husband Bill often teases me that I have everything I have ever purchased...
This is an old wool Buchanan tartan (Richardson is part of that clan) that Boris Loree used & he died in 2015. He would scratch to cover himself up & his nails would create holes but I still saw enough tartan wool to make something from it, after all, it was our tartan colours!

And the fringe, well some of it was still intact.

Most people would through it out but I see value in so much that is made from quality goods and 
I just needed a creative jumping board...

And that idea was last fall on PEI visiting a tartan store & what they had done with a wool blanket!

The small pillow is all made from the wool blanket & the large pillow is from the blanket with a double fringe layer (I knew it could be incorporated somehow!) & faux dark brown suede the same suede that I have cut for the Scrappy Irish Chain's binding.
I love when ideas are out of my head & I can hold them!

I have wanted to make this baby a quilt since his birth in November & finally got around to it this week.
His name is so unique that I wanted it on his nursery blanket.

It's an adorable bunny print by Bunny Hill print by Ann Sutton, again I've had it in my stash to make a baby quilt & have finally done so!
The print was too adorable to cut up and the name piecing was a job itself so I'm pleased with how cute it is!
 
The background is a white polka dot on a soft green & the chocolate rabbits will be great for this beautiful baby's first Easter.

I'm slowing down due to my back going out with the heavy deep shovel shovelling but I'm on the mend! It will be better now that Bill is back from England & can plow & shovel the deep snow.
I blame myself for missing several of the maintenance chiro appointments to keep my spine aligned, next week I will look into that issue!

Here is one of my favourite sayings:

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind. 
You'll never guess who said that!
Dr. Seuss, pen name for Theodor Suess Geisel

Thank you for popping in for a visit & I hope you are well & taking care.
You will never be as young as you are today.

Stay safe & stay healthy.
Cynthia












1 comment:

  1. Cynthia, your talent with fabric never cease to amaze me. I'm one of those who would have thrown that holy blanket away.
    The quilt top looks gorgeous with beautiful colors and the pillows are beautiful as well.

    February is almost here and like you, I don't like walking on ice, even with grippers as I've tripped a few years ago when I met with a small chunk of covered ice.

    Hoping for an early spring.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete