Monday, August 15, 2022

Mid August Already!!

 This summer has just flown by, and what a beautiful summer it is this year.

The garden has not looked so beautiful, let's go for a stroll!

The limelight's enjoying having the two bushes removed & has filled the front of the porch again!


The Annabelles have stretched through the fence too!


Jocelyne's retirement bush has taken on a life of its own & I love the soft pink blooms on this bush!


This little garden is in the dog-run/laundry line area so I see it nearly every day hanging laundry.


The pond area is full of wildflowers & flowering ragweed that Bill & I are so allergic to but it is lovely against the lavender backdrop of flowers.

Bill moved so of the tiger lilies that we planted from the Thames River riverbank in London ON. They look lovely there! I'm going to try to bring in some bullrushes to hairspray the heck out of them & use them in some fall decor.

The pond is nearly dry now. Last year was the first year it did not dry out & looked like a skating pond in the winter.

 

Beautiful contrast with the dark siding.


Bill's shop even looks lovely with all the blooms!


The black-eyed Susans are thriving this year! The potting shed now has a variety of colours & the limelight hydrangea loves its new area next to the rain barrel! And had a surprise for me! I had put the bulbs in the potting shed to dry them out...

The heat & humidity that we have had brought these beauties back to life!

My plan was to dry the bulbs & start them this fall for Christmas bloom time!
A happy surprise! :)

The limelight hydrangeas showcase nicely against the newly painted asphalt!


This is where the bees gather!


We purchased porcupine grass to plant this year, these were the last three at 75% off!


How wonderful for us to live in a home that has resort views! Every day, every season we feel so blessed! I like the view with the dying evergreen gone after being taken down.


Such a variety of colours, I love it, so do the bees & hummingbirds!


This is the last of summer now & everything looks like it enjoyed this hot humid season.

We still have so many mosquitoes, deer flies, and black flies that love to feast on us!


The rose bush is loving this weather! And the bees are loving the sweetness from it, I love the sweet fragrance!

Napan Agricultural Fair Ribbons

I entered eight items & got seven firsts & one second.

This is the second win, this wee fox was second as the VIP print frog jumped on him for first.
I was familiar with that frog as I too had made him several years ago as a doorstop for one of the boys.

This fellow is so much more work as are all his clothing & rainbow crocheted bracelet & bag.
I even made his arms with wire armatures in them to make him poseable. 
He is very handsome even for a second place ribbon!

And here are a few of the firsts!

For my cottage PJs, I purchased batik fabric at Edge Squared Quilt Shop on one of Bev's many sales.
The fabric had a floral border on each end - I used that feature for the creative ideas that you'll see on the bottom of the pants, the sleeves & the front/back of the jacket as well as the bodice on the top!


The top has it on the bodice & the bottom! 
By the time I made this three-piece set, there were just a few scraps of fabric left.

The back of the jacket - when the pleat is closed.

Inside the pleat is the fancy edging fussy cut out to give just a geometric pattern.

A hanging detail that I do with my housecoats to hang on a hook on the back of the door.

I added a frill around the mandarin collar to add a little more interest.
These PJs were fun to design & sew together!

This vintage-looking Christening gown was done to learn a new stitch in crochet & I loved this little set in the book & wanted to take it off the page by making it!

It is so sweet & everything is 100% cotton, the dress, bonnet, and under innings of a muslin slip & panties. The lace is also real vintage lace that I had.

The lace is so soft to the touch!

I was pleased to have finished it but I could not figure out how to do the booties! And I tried several times...

My pillow of the cats, Rexon the Manx & Mr. Boots (RIP).

The hooked rug & the Christmas Carol quilt, and the Modernational Bear Quilt too will now be hung in the foyer!

These are not from my garden as I like to help support those that do sell from their gardens. 
This year we invested in a vacuum sealer & wow, when I told several people about how happy I was with mine, they all had had one for years!
These are delicious, I had a feed on them the same day I got them then sealed them for this winter

.
Thank you Sandy for the heads up on the skeleton dishes, these were the last of the plates but I was so happy to find the Peanuts plate!

I watched a tutorial on this scrappy technique & gave it a try, wow I love it!
I made another one after this one. You make 14" squares or as large/small as you want then sew them together. I made two little placemat-style ones for the woman that did the Handicraft room at the fair.
She's not a quilter & just loved them.

I loved the farmhouse feel they had when placed in the antique dough bowl! May have to make more for myself! lol

Apartment Update

The drywall is done & today the apartment is being painted.
The kitchen cupboards have been installed & not without a hiccup!
One of the foundation cupboards from IKEA was not delivered but has now been found on the delivery truck & will be delivered this Friday!

The countertop will be ready next week for pickup.
The fridge is still on backorder & it was ordered in May! What an uncertain time we live in now.

The floor looks great!
Storage room with an outlet to put the small deep freezers in.

The bedroom trim is now in place & ready for the painters.

I like the vertical five-panel doors, I've had them installed here so when the apartment was designed I added them there too!
The bathroom vanity is installed & the white subway tile will be installed this week too.

The IKEA storage unit is coming along nicely!
So many boxes have been flattened down from IKEA, it does help when you have to transport items if they are flattened into boxes!

Well, there you have it, a week in the life of Cynthia. 
Bill is leaving this weekend to go get Leslie & Nicholas for their big move out to the east coast.
A convoy will be coming back next Thursday, Bill with his truck & trailer, Leslie in her car, & Nicholas in his car...coming home.

Have a wonderful week wherever you are!
Enjoy this month as when we turn the corner to the next, it will be September!

Wishing you health & happiness always!
Cynthia
I'm over the moon to have a family with us











2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on all your wins, and yes, even 2nd place is nothing to sneer at. Your gardens are very colorful. It feels good every time something blooms. My daylilies are on their way to finish blooming already. How did mid-August arrived so soon. If feels like only a few days ago it was August 1st.

    I've been bottling green beans this year but froze the larger one for soup. I cut them up small and blanche them for 4 minutes. This is the first time I tried that. Normally the small fresh beans are blanched for 2 minutes.

    Got to go do some more harvesting and preserving.
    Take care and enjoy the rest of the summer.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4 more sleeps until we see you!! <3

    ReplyDelete