Sunday, May 2, 2021

Spring Is Here

 Spring is here! The sun is warming the ground & life is beginning to emerge. It is such a joy to walk outside & see what has been under all that snow. 

And yes.... no more snow it is all gone now!

This photo of Bay du Vin Island was taken last week. Can you see the loose ice floating by & the ice pushed to the shore on the other side of the Miramichi Bay? All remnants of snow are now gone, so happy to see that in the rearview mirror!


To me, this is the first sign of spring & my heart sings!

One of my favourite thrift stores finds!

I've been working on a FREE - SAL (sew along) with Wild Wonderful SAL 2021 on Facebook. 

Here is my version of the 1st block. It has all the same silhouette as the designer with a few changes that put it right in my backyard... literally! 

The view from the sewing room window was my inspiration.  I added in the coloured embroidered lupins instead of the wild grass & robins that grace the backyard daily now.

Block two, this was fun too!
 I needle punched in old Tommy's cat hair & added some cat whiskers!

Rexton has been noticing the movement of the birds outside. She sits & watches them fly in & out of the lilac bushes branches & seek shelter with the sandwich board protecting the blue muffin bush.
The winds were over 80km the other day, fishing has been delayed due to the strong winds. Tomorrow the boats will set sail for the beginning of the lobster fishing season.

The seed trays are growing & have been transferred to larger pots.
The old desk holds them well & gives them an area of afternoon sunlight.

The outer edging has been done & now that afghan is finished!

You can see the eyelet openings in this photo. It was a pattern from Woman's Day Magazine back in the early '70s. The black edging is just enough to finish off this very colourful afghan.

I started rug hooking again...

This was a pattern I had made years back off of Marg's quilt onto a linen canvas & it was such a joy to hook on linen! I did the colouring of Mr. Boots & this is his memory rug, such a sweet cat. 💓
It is a larger oval finishing at nearly 3' x 2 1/2' I finished the edging with checked bias cotton to keep with the whimsical feel of the hooked rug.

The face on the cat brought back memories of my childhood friend's house that had a Felix the Cat clock. This face looks like Felix & the eyes would move back & forth as would his tail! A delightfully memorable clock of years gone by.

I'm from the era of the 'electric frying pan' & when our son Don & Stephanie gave us an 'air fryer' for Christmas we were stumped on what to do with it. I have to tell you since we have used it & found out how wonderful it was, we use it several times a week! It's used to sizzle our sausages, excellent with frozen or fresh french fries, frozen egg rolls or spring rolls, anything that needs to be reheated & would be left soggy in a microwave. With having to watch cholesterol & fats now this 'air fryer' is great!

The removable Teflon basket allows fats to drip away from the food. It removes easily to be washed & is ready to be used again & again. I can see these becoming as popular as the microwave with kids in apartments. I'm curious to see the electricity bill with this invention as your only heating up a wee space instead of a large oven. Thank you kids for making our daily life a little easier & healthier!

Thank you for stopping by for a visit. I hope you are doing well & are able to get your vaccine soon.
I was told by the local pharmacy that my turn will be closer to the end of this month, so until then I must stay healthy.
You too stay healthy & wear your mask, it sure has stopped the spread of flu & cold viruses!                   
I came across this saying & will be embroidering the words onto a linen pillow. Everything decor these days is fashionably done with words. Pillows, signs, pictures, so many words!

"You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending."
-C.S.Lewis

Have a wonderful week!
Cynthia






1 comment:

  1. It's so nice to hear the birds singing and seeing spring popping up all over the place and the lawn turning green. Spring came early this year.

    Your appliqués are beautifully done and you did a great job on your cat rug.

    Like you I've started seeds indoors. It's a lot cheaper than buying bedding plants.

    I can't believe we are in May already. It seems like only a short time ago when we started a new calendar.

    I don't have an air fryer but I use my little roasting oven an awful lot.
    Enjoy your time outdoors. It's already time to mow the lawns and no signs of major flooding so far.

    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete