Thursday, September 24, 2020

A Lucky Miss From Tropical Storm Teddy!

 The northeast part of the province had a lucky miss. I packed everything away just in case Mother Nature changed her mind, as I've known it to happen in the past with Tropical Storm Arthur.

Two days before the winds started I took pictures of this eerie calm day...the calm before the storm.

The island of Bay du Vin seemed close mirrored in the calm water.

The tide was low when these pics were taken.

The sky was overcast creating the same feel above as below with the water.

So, so still.

Gardiner Point looked close too!

Off between the opening of the land & the island is Point aux Carr, it was so clear & still that day.

The village of Burnt Church & Neguec is over on the other side of Miramichi Bay.

The lawn is looking forward to having some water on it, it's been a dry summer.

That calm day started with a frozen birdbath! I went out & opened it up after watching a wren struggle to find an open area.

I pushed all the deck furniture to the southwest corner & hoped not to see it move. And it did not, the winds here were only 74km which is a normal gust on a blustery day. The other Atlantic provinces could not say the same.

The front Anniversary Garden really took over this summer!

And proved colour all season, thank you Heather for your guidance in helping me plan it!

It took on a life of its own.

And all the beautiful colours made my heart sing!



Painting Projects

I found this rocking chair at roadside garbage & knew it could be revived & given new life with the Fusion mineral paint that was purchased at Candle In The Window in Boisetown NB.

The spindle details were in great shape, so was the rest of the chair!

I was really pleased with the finished project!

And the thought of my yard sale find from a few years ago, it too could use some new life!


I'm going to rug hook the top for a cozy feel beneath my feet this winter!

The inside is in excellent shape & will hold small projects & my embroidery balls that Rexton the Manx keeps taking on me!

The Fusion mineral paint makes any grain on the wood just shine through! 


The second coat to the chair was added & whilst I was working with the paint, I touched up the shutters from the Napan Yard Sale, the stool, & a star hanger that was in raw pinewood! The kitchen is my go-to place when I have projects & need space.

The star is going to hold hand-dipped wax candles in Fall colour. I brought Mr. Fox out to sit on the sideboard.

Baxter supervised my painting & was nervous with all the rain & wind that was happening outside.

The only flaw that I found on this fantastic garbage find was that the seat was cracked.

I'm loving the look of this finished rocking chair!


My hands were aching from the weather change & it was time to use them. I found my toothbrush rug needle & turned on YouTube, no not today, it was not working out. The crochet hook was better with this twin size Texmade sheet. I watched Rag Rugs With Erin to do the rectangular rug for the Boston's crate to cozy them underneath for the winter ahead but no, that did not work out either!

So I took it apart & made the new rocking chair a seat pad & had just enough fabric to do it!

Rexton was sitting in the chair that evening on the chair pad!
I looked at the label & it was 50/polyester-50/cotton made by Texmade in Canada! I had worked with all Canadian made products this week, the recycled chair/stool, the Fusion paint is made in Canada, & the recycled sheet.
I read labels in the secondhand stores for Canadain made products & in the grocery store too.
It is important to support our economy & recycling helps our planet too!

One twin sheet has been recycled, I even used the plain blue band which add interest to the chair pad.

Then I noticed that the wingback that I sit in had light coloured legs, that could be fixed too!

I painted them out too! A touch up is needed on the very top where the legs meet the chair, see the light cherry colour? When my stool is done they will enhance each other. 
Now looking for a rug hooking pattern to fit the 14"x18" stool, always something to source out. lol

Snowdrift


The Snowdrift project by Kathy Schmitz is coming along very slowly as week eight was revealed this week & I'm on week five!

I'm trying to improve my embroidery on wool, such a chore of concentration for me.

I'm enjoying how each disc/snowflake is different.

I'm using the Frixon pen to help me balance out the designs, it disappears when a hot iron hits it!
I just iron it from the back because of the pearl beading.

I never knew you could put thread designs into the buttons hole! Very clever Kathy Schmitz!

Well with 10 days before leaving for the kids' wedding & COVID being what it is, I'm going to be making more masks to take with me as we travel through the airports to arrive safely & germ-free.
I'll post one more time before leaving. Stay safe, happy, & healthy!

Cynthia


2 comments: