Monday, June 22, 2020

Dog Days This Summer!

Wow, it has gone from frost to the honest part of Canada in less than 2 weeks!
I'm so happy to live at the shore & having the A/C going when the wind is not blowing.

The Boston terriers Bridget & Baxter have been enjoying summer with their swimming, playing, & napping.

 Baxter & Bridget playing stick in the water, very cool & refreshing.

Baxter may get the stick or ball first but always lets Bridget it have it in the end, he's good with her.

 This seems to be Bridget's relax mode. lol


 She's too funny!

 A lazy afternoon nap on the kitchen rug, oh the dog days of summer.

They are so patient & polite when Bill is mixing their food with meat broth or shredded cheese.

Gardens - Beautiful Fragrant Gardens 


 The Anniversary Garden did not take long to fill out & bloom!

 The Iris is beautiful, it reminds me of the quilt I just put the binding on!

This quilt does remind me of Iris's in the garden!

 The peonies are just starting to show their colour...

Bill & I  were watching a gardening show & it was said to pick peonies at this point to enjoy them longer in your home.

 And this morning, I did just that!

It is so nice to enjoy the garden beauty indoors!

 The morning glories around the potting shed are beginning to take hold of the trellis.

 I gave them some company with ceramic mushrooms & gnomes.  lol

 The garden wraps around the side of the house & is looking great... cannot say the same about the lawn. We've not had rain in a very long time & when it is called for, it misses us!!

 Bill has been very busy outside & is now making paths through the woods, it is looking great!
I'll suit up with my mosquito net coat & share some photos for the next post.

 The blooming & oh such a heavenly scent from those blooms too! The lamb's ear grouping is huge this year, I'm going to try drying flowers in the basement for winter decorating & they're going to be one of them!
 More morning glories at the laneway side of the potting shed, they're holding each other until they can reach the trellis.

 The veggie garden boxes are doing well, Bill made another box under the potting shed window for yellow climbing beans. We could not get any yellow bean seeds, they were sold out. Thank you Lorine for giving me a packet of yours!

 It is so beautiful here today! The flag shows the breeze is from the west, the poor lawn though...

 The tomatoes plants have adjusted well & the beet, radish & carrot seeds are now up!

 Next to the birdbath garden is a finch feeder & they are loving it! I'm hoping that the seed on the ground makes some grass but the mourning doves & pigeons are not going to let that happen! lol

How beautiful is this little creature?!! I know where we get our colour combinations from, I just love the wings on this bright yellow finch!

 Nine tomato plants are in the back of this garden, thanks for the stake, arrow shafts Nick, they're working great!

 The back deck got a new seating area, we needed one with weight as the winds are not so gentle here when it blows hard. The seats open to hold the cushions but if the furniture moves too much Bill's going to put weight in the seats. It is a great place to have our morning coffee when the bugs are not there!

Potting Shed 


 Here is the old cupboard all painted with new handle pulls & legs!

 The handle pulls are from our 1994 trip to Pugwash's pewter factory, I thought they would be perfect on this! Thank you Bill for the installation!

 Bill was busy installing the corner countertop it' s so handy! Once the 2 x 4 brackets are painted...

They just disappear into the wall!

 I forgot to take a 'before photo'  - see the difference a coat of paint makes?!

 This little burlap sign says it all during this COVID time!

 How great is this for a plant working area?!

 Years back I made this Potting Shed Quilt. It never got into that dirty storage area & now has found its forever home. Well, maybe for the summer months when the potting shed is open. I will not be leaving any fabric in there as the rodents will take it over for winter shelter & chew up anything that made from fabric for there home & nests.

 I used variegated green & pink threads that I purchased in a small village when I was in Europe.
It makes the potting shed cheery with such a garden theme!

 Bill installed my hooks from Stien Mart when we were in Florida years back, that's where the Keep Calm & Garden On came from too!

 The real tools are now hung up!

 I made this watermelon rug yesterday from 15+ yards of  42"  fabric, ripped in 3" strips, then crocheted into this pattern. I was really surprised at how fast the fabric disappeared as I crocheted it.
It's a very heavy mat & will not be moving easily with the breezy days ahead.

 We're still unpacking & I found this little Crabtree & Evelyn purchase from years back.

 It is so going to compliment the strawberry quilt, such a taste of summer is strawberries!

 There's the little cupboard in the potting shed, Bill hung my herb log cabin quilt up & it also enhances the brown countertop, so earthy!

 Shelves were added to the east & south windows for a bigger sill for plants to enjoy the sun.

 The geraniums in the outside window box are enjoyed by an inside view of them.

 The larger south-facing window has a new window sill too!

 The Peter Rabbit windchime from an England visit to The Lake District has a new spot to chime from but I think I will have to redo all the string as it's disintegrating. I'll use a more durable string as the winds will swirl it around.



I love everything Beatrix Potter, she was one of the most intelligent, generous women of history & for over a century has influenced so many people.

Sewing

The Christmas Carol Mystery Quilt is nearly done!

 Block Ten - The Little Drummer Boy

Block Eleven - O Christmas Tree



Now with block twelve to do, We Three Kings & the finishing instructions on Wednesday, I need to keep focused until the end, which is quite near now!

Thank you for stopping in for a visit on this beautiful sunny warm day, I hope you enjoyed yourself & will come back again when we tour into the woods...

Take care & be safe.
Cynthia



2 comments:

  1. Everything looks so great, glad the flag has found its way up. Looks great. A little bit of Tuckey hardware in the village out east xoxoxo miss you mom ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure that's a potting shed and not a she shed ? ;)
    Love all the quilts and touring your gardens.

    ReplyDelete