Thursday, January 10, 2019

Blustery Winter Weather

It sure is wintery here on the east coast.
I knew by the red morning sky yesterday that the calm before the storm was over & the storm was going to moving into our area.

                               As the saying goes, 'Red sky in the morning is a sailors warning.'

 Out over the Miramichi Bay, the sky had a red tinge to it too as the sun was coming up.

 The Canadian geese were spared the nasty winter storm as they are on the front porch but the wind blew snow on them.

 The front porch had a nice heavy wet drift on it too. The temp rose overnight & the snow got very heavy & solid.

                      The laneway & parking lot is now open. It was ploughed out at lunchtime.

                                  The depth of snow is seen when you look at the potting shed.

                      Bill's trailer isn't going anywhere with the packing os snow around it.

 I'm always amazed at the aqua blue colour in the areas piled in the snow, I never saw that gorgeous colour in the snow in Southwestern Ontario winters. I did see that same colour in Newfoundland looking at an iceberg for the first time!
The daylight really shows the blue in the vertical lines, not so much in the picture though.

 I couldn't reach the bird feeders so I threw some feed to them on top of the solid snow.
The little chickadees are very vocal when they see you & are not afraid of getting close to you either.

                                   The birds & squirrels are really enjoying their new feeder too!

I shovelled in front of the garage & the steps after the plough was gone & was it ever heavy snow!
It was easier to lift it up in blocks, just like the blocks that make igloos, so solid.
More flurries for tomorrow too.

 There's a small opening in the garage door as it shifted when it was moved & the lock doesn't aline to keep the bottom closed. I can only image how many rodents are living in the potting shed this winter!

                                  The flurries were starting again & I captured it! lol

                                         I love the way the woods look after a fresh snowfall.

 This is one of Baxter's favourite spots to find the squirrels that take the birdseed. He will sit at the base of a tree & wait for the squirrel to come down. The squirrels love to tease Baxter & make noise.

 The birds are waiting for me to leave so they could get at the birdseed I put out.

 Winter seems like it has been going on since last year & it has! It started snowing in November & has not stopped. Maybe we'll have an early spring this year to enjoy our late Easter on April 21st.

                                        I love the look of our laneway in every season!

 Thank you, Alan, for the great ploughing job that links me to the main road, I'm mobile once more!

I'm hoping the snow wall if high enough to create the snow fence that is needed there. The snow swirls right in front of the garage door that I use. Totally forgot to change spots with Bill again this year! Something tells me the hindsight will kick in for next years winter! lol

 The light looks great in the snow & the evergreens are drooping with the heavy wet snow, frosted tips, love the woods!

Cozy inside with the snow piling up on the outside. The metal roof is quiet today just dripping icicles in the sun. Once the sun goes down everything freezes & the icicles are frozen solid again.

I found paperwhite's on sale & potted them a couple of weeks ago, they will be blooming & smelling so go soon. The amaryllis is going to bloom soon too!

 Baxter & Bridget have new coats for next Christmas. Bill & I found these Christmas alpaca sweaters at Winners for only $4 each!

 They were so good at modelling the sweaters & never tried to remove them off of one another.

                             Bridget got a pink fleece lined jacket to keep her cozy this winter.


Well, 2019 has started & it was really different having Bill home for 17 days over Christmas & time just flew by with him. The Boston's just love having him home to play stick & walks down the lane.

Spring will arrive in 68 days & Easter in 101 days. I'mm looking forward to Easter as all the kids will be flying home for Easter. All the boys will be together & I'm going to start baking & freezing food next month so I won't have to be in the kitchen so much! Till then I'll be digging my way out. lol

Thank you for stopping in for a visit, I hope you are staying warm & cozy wherever you are.
Health & Happines always,
Cynthia


4 comments:

  1. Yay! I’ve been refreshing the page waiting for a new blog for the last few days :)
    Baxter and Bridget look adorable in their sweaters.
    Do you have traps set in the potting shed?
    We haven’t had much snow here but there’s been a sharp wind the last few days. I’d rather have some snow - it’s much prettier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come spring the traps begin again! Last year we were getting two mice in one trap... several times! Better in the potting shed that the house but when you live so rural, it's expected.
    More snow this weekend = more shovelling, it's pretty to look at but a lot of work. Looking forward with seeing & feeling the longer days with spring's approachment.
    This too will pass. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got lots of snow here too and I'm glad I don't have to go to work in the snow anymore. I'm not a winter person and I love spring when everything comes back to life but we can't get spring without winter. So right now, I'm a lady in waiting. lol.

    Rodents usually set up house in the fall. Hopefully they went somewhere else this year. The dogs are all dressed up for our New Brunswick winter.

    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you have way more snow than us Mom,. Had to move snow for the first time this year last week . Can't wait to see you in April . Do

    ReplyDelete