Sunday, May 15, 2011

Lilac's Are Starting to Bloom


 
Spring to me is the coming of life of mother earth. The fragrant smell of of lilacs & lily of the valley are now to do just that in southwestern Ontario. I know because it's happening right now in my own backyard.
I had set the goal this spring to make the Debbie Beaves quilt kit ( upon impulse & a great deal... great deal...until I had to pay the duties & taxes, after the shipping charges! just too use to the 'great deal' of Connecting Threads! this happened as I  ordered it from the states last summer) The goal was to make this gorgeous, vibrant, queen size quilt before the lilacs were in full bloom...

Mission Accomplished!!



The colours do not show true in the photos...much more of an intense colour of purples & green ...

Border detail of lilacs, again the colours are not true to the quilt...but the overall feel of spring lilacs are there!
I was going to use the green flannel wide backing that I purchased this fall, however it was about 18" short! I did however find this complimenting, gorgeous vibrant purple, 108 wide backing, a much more appropriate fit forr the back for this quilt.  I now have my first queen size quilt for my bed. Up to now, I've had Cracker Barrel or Home Sense quilts on my Bombay canopy queen-size bed...my family have be on the receiving end of the fruits of my labour...this time it's for me! and I just love it! I cannot wait to get this back from Tim at The Marsh Store in Coldstrean. The binding is the green/cream dot fabric, it's already cut, sewn & pressed, ready to be applied once the top, batting, & back have been quilted together.
The summer months will be that of putting on binding to the quilts that have been completed this winter/spring.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful quilt, Cynthia! I am looking forward to seeing it in person at show and tell!

    ReplyDelete