Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Fall Is Here-Winter On Its Heels

 A very unusual year with no snow even in the air yet! I know this too will pass...

Yesterday, the Boston terriers Bridget & Baxter had a great time meandering through Bill's path for strolling. I love being in the woods with nature!

Earlier in the week, Bill cut off some branches for me to fill the window boxes.

The Potting Shed is getting ready to wind down for another year but this year is the first to have it lit with LED lights that work from its solar panels!

The interior stained glass window was gifted to me from Beverley in London, she has such a good eye for finds! It has now found its place in the potting shed.

There are so many dried hydrangeas from the limelight & they look great with the greenery!

The little window boxes were a great find at the Black River yardsale 10 years ago now!

See the blooms on the limelight that were just transplanted there this spring, they like their new home next to the downspout. Bridget & her stick, she lives to chase after a thrown stick!

I love this little potting shed! It has evolved so much since the original construction that Mitchell did
back in the fall of 2013. The windows from the sweet cottage I lived in on Eel River, & the shutters from Four Kennon.

The Anniversary Garden still has life in it!

The rose bush is still blooming too!

I love the texture & colour of this plant. With Covid 19, I miss not having my gardening friend Heather teach me the names of most of these plants. Good memory...not long.

The window box on Bill's shop (the other companion box from the potting shed - window too!) will greet him as he enters his shop.

The red rose hips really add colour & texture to the window box, I added three plastic red bulbs to the center of this window box. The red will warm the greens when the snow fills our area with the northerly winds from Miramichi Bay!

Let us go into the woods!

Over the bridged area, this is where I visualize a covered bridge with a window on each side to let the light in.

A very unusual year with so much water in the pond! It is usually dried up with a moss bottom, the ditch is even running water through it.

OK, let's try to keep up with these two as they love meandering through the woods too!

The sound of the rustling leaves on the path just adds to your sense of walking in the woods, the smell is heavenly!

You can now see the opening that Bill has forged through to make the walk enjoyable. 

I'm on the path but do you see the horizontal log in the background?
That is the home to the new bunkie next spring/summer!!

Here is the bunkie's new home foundation area!

Here's the view looking in or where the wee screened-in front porch will be.

OK, let's keep on walking the path!

Watch your step as you turn the corner & be careful not to trip on this big guy's roots!

Bridget knows this path & it's hard to keep up with her!

Are you still with us?!

Bill would disappear for hours every day last spring, it's been so worth it this fall!

And we're coming to the end of what has been cleared through. He's about 1/2 way through I think? There is so much land here when you have to clear it out!

It is a jumbled mess but the wildlife that lives here loves it calls it home to them. 
Bill's mulching the branches to add the mulch to the paths walkway to keep the plants from taking the woods back.

The end of the path this year. This is home to the rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels, mice, & other animals we have not seen yet.

Nature is beautiful, even in its gnarliness as it tries to stay alive after a bad storm has knocked it over!
 
I find it enchanting to view!

The home to the new bunkie! This is going to be fun!

We're coming out of our walk, can you see the house in the distance?

Bye, bunkie area.

The Boston terriers are looking for a stick to play with.

How whimsical is that tree trunk?!

We're almost to the boarded bridge...

Baxter hears sounds coming from this huge evergreen, he's such a hound dog!

It's time for a cuppa of something warm.
Here is how my morning coffee started out this week!

I drink instant coffee as my stomach likes it better & Folger's was on sale at Shoppers for a good price.

Awaken your senses is the slogan for Folger's...
I saw something dark & round in the bottom of my cup.
I emptied my cup on the toast plate...

Oh my!!! It was a spider! A freezer-dried spider that plumped out with the hot water!!

I called Folgers aka JM Smuckers & they did apologize & are sending me coupons hoping that I will give their product another try.

I get it, the product world of producing is not perfect. Nature does have a way of getting into products.

Just this summer our cabbage from a local producer had a red wiggly in it when I was cutting & washing it. It is life, not perfect!

Enough grossing you out. lol

Here are some sewing projects I've been working on!

I finished the Bonnie Sullivan design & it is off to be custom quilted by Christel in Douglastown.
The applique is wool, the background is flannel & the border is cotton. I really thought this would be easy with only one page of applique patterns... not. It is done now!

I have had these block panels for a long time & ordered the Northcott Canvas in pink, blue, & white to put with these blocks.

I was working backwards with the backing that was available from my stash.

A girlfriend that I used to kickbox with & was very encouraging to me, had become a grandmother again.. to twins, a girl & boy!
How perfect for those twins was this panel?!!


The blue one, one of two in the blue that I made!

The second blue one has more panel blocks than pieced blocks. I was working with what I had.

One of the two pink ones.

And a big thank you for help from my helper, Rexton!

It is blurry? This is the second pink quilt. It must have been my helpers' fault with all that help!

Less blurry, I just loved these babies!

The gingham framing really added to enhance the pictures of the babies!
And the warm Dalmantion flannel backing will soften it even more!

I had just less than a yard of cardinal fabric & a girlfriend that just loved the quilt I made my mom back in 2009. It too had cardinals on it, so I put this together for her.

She really liked it so together we'll take a road trip to get some flannel backing in her colour choice.

The Christmas village is still a work in progress, the next blog I'll show you where we are at.

Thank you for coming in for a visit here and a walk into the woods & I hope you too are enjoying this fall in whatever way brings you joy.

The kids are all home for Christmas so you know what I will be up to!
It is the most wonderful time of the year, right now anyway! lol

Wishing you health & happiness always!
Cynthia








2 comments:

  1. Your dark pink flowers are called Sedum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog. Your place is looking so festive and by now your house must be all ready for Christmas. How lucky you are to have your kids home again for Christmas.

    I love walking through the woods and you have such a lovely path on your own land. I find it so peaceful and quiet. When I was a kid, we had a path in the wood behind our house and also a clearing and I spent a lot of time in there all by myself.

    As usual, your quilts are so lovely. I don't know how you can make so many lovely things. You are very creative and artistic.

    It's -1 now and it feels like -7 outside but it warm in the house. We didn't have any snow yet but I bet it won't be long.

    Take care,
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete