Saturday, November 11, 2017

Lest We Forget

Today is Remembrance Day, a day to remember and be thankful for all those that have given themselves & their life, for the wonderful country of Canada. Thank you.
My dad was too young be a war veteran but I have photos, somewhere in my many moving boxes & bins, of him working at the Malton plant, helping with building the Lancaster Bombers. My grandfather also worked there. Next year I'll share those photos.

I made this banner a few years back & planned to make a French one too, but not this year. It will be for the Golden Age Club in Baie-Sainte-Anne. Lest We Forget. I am so thankful for the country that I  was born into & for those that made it what it is, strong & free.

Oh, Those Hexi's!

 
I have worked this piece into an odd shaped small runner.
It is from leftover fabric from a quilt that Deb & I did together a few years back called Crazy Stars.
My girlfriend Cynthia was always working hexi's & I thought I'd give it a try... oh, my!
It is not an easy undertaking but I did find it relaxing to hand stitch.

It fits nicely in my dough bowl & I don't think I'll be trying that project again anytime soon. I lined the back with a flannel & it will be used as an accent piece for the quilt. That quilt also had a lot of spin-off pieces made from the scraps, a square table topper & a pillow too. It all started with the orphan blocks!
                               Here is the pillow that the last orphan block was made with.

 Rexton is perched on her cat tree & is watching TV! I've never had a cat like her!

              Another block is madE for the patriot quilt, it's a mason jar with sunflowers.

                                                              Just six more blocks to go!

Something New!

My girlfriend Marva is teaching me how to knit on four needles! Something I have always wanted to learn. It is very odd working in the round when all I knew was the flat, two needles!
I now get the chance to use my hand turned knitting bowl made by Gary Miller & was presented to me for Christmas a couple of years ago from my Thursday sewing girlfriends, Bev, Lynn, & Deb.
It's being put to good use & I love it!!
This knitted piece is for the cement goose Lucy's neck. It will cover the camouflage duck tape, LOL duck tape on a goose! Lucy fell or should I say, 'was tripped by my garden hose'  & her neck broke, exposing the metal rod going through her neck! The duck tape worked & I just cover it with a scarf or a knitted dickie.

Have a great day & remember a moment of silence at 11am for those that are no longer with us & the reason why. Lest We Forget.

Thank you for the visit & I hope your November is a safe & healthy one. We are the blessed ones!

2 comments:

  1. Luv the pillow! and I agree - those hexies !! I'm STILL making connector pieces for my Lucy Boston - it takes forever! I too have learned to knit on 4 needles. I'm taking a class @ London Yarns on making socks. Just catching up with Ann ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cynthia. My, you always do the nicest work on that sewing machine of yours. I really love that pillow and that applique quilt are so lovely. Those hexies looks like a lot of work but the little runner turned out beautifully...
    Rexton is a different cat for sure. She must take her name seriously...

    I love knitting on 4 needles as I learned as a child to make my own mittens. I actually prefer it to knitting with 2 needles.

    Have a great weekend. Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete