Tuesday, August 25, 2026

I Heard The Cicada Bug!

 I heard the cicada bug this week and Grandpa Haynes taught me years ago in SW Ontario it means first frost in about 8 weeks. I've used that theory here in NE New Brunswick and it's 10 weeks. I think because I live next to a large body of water on the Northumberland Strait, in fact it's my backyard. It takes a longer time for the water to cool than land and the reverse is true come spring, it's always warmer in town on those days. 

Bows seem to be all the rage these days, such a flashback to the nineties! lol

I saw  an add pop up on Facebook for a quilted bow for Christmas in July. Not quiet there but loving the look, I found a tutorial on YouTube and made two from a layer cake (10" squares). 

I used scrap batting put together by zigzagging the pieces, then quilted the 3" squares together on the batting-not using the back fabric until it was finished. Then with right sides together I sewed the upper bow, then the lower ribbon(it's one piece folded)
The formula was 3 1/2" cut squares, three squares across- 16 squares down for the bow ends and for the bow top 3 1/2" cut squares, - 3 down and 14 or 15 across, depending on how big you want your bow, I did 14 squares across. Then a 1 1/2" strip to hold it together, I used a cable tie first to tighten the bow and ties, then covered it with the strip. The tutorial will show you how if you're a visual learner.

But wait there's more from the J. Wecker Frisch stacker!

I made a table runner for the dining room table and a small runner for the sideboard from the leftovers.

Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. A saying I'm trying to live by these days.

I made the back from the yardage from her collection, I've had this in my stash for a couple of years and just love her unique, creative, styling design.


 I was first introduced to her from a gifted calendar from my girlfriend Sandy, who always sends a new calendar each Christmas. I always hang it in my sewing room that at my machine I can glace at the calendar to know what the date is. Time just fly's by for me!

See how time fly's, this is a 2020 calendar! I had her designs in my head for 12 months and when the Halloween fabric went on sale, I got it a few years back. Thank you Sandy, for introducing me to a new designer!


 This vignette is called 'Scary Cat' from the Simply Vintage - Autumn 2019 magazine. The Chatham kids, Nick & Leslie had gifted it to me for my birthday. I've not purchased a magazine in a very long time, the price has gone through the roof! On special occasions like my birthday or Christmas I can always count on these two for the newest magazine, I may not make things right away as I do a 'round to it'. This one is so cute!

I'll add more real cat whiskers to the cat, scrap wool  and felt were used, I love autumn, it's my favourite season of the big four! Just what comes after makes me savour it more. I heard the cicada, it's time to slow down and savour what is left of summer. And what a wonderful summer we have this year!

I was having tea with my neighbourhood girlfriend Deb, and she too is excited about sewing these days & showed me her sewing machine and with it was a piece of umbra fabric from drapes she made years back. She gave me this piece of fabric and I saw it as an elegant pumpkin, sew I made it for her & re-gifted it back to her! I used Scary Cat's pattern modified for the piece of fabric I had & voila! Added a real dried stem to the top and she can make a vignette of her own!

Deb and her husband Terry took our Alberta kids, Mitch, Nicole, and little Liam on their boat last month. They all had a wonderful time. Those that truly know me, know I'm hydrophobic, so I watched & waved from the breaker-wall.

It was a beautiful summer day and they went over to the sandy edge island (Bay du Vin Island is 5 miles from our shore) On the way home Liam fell fast a sleep and stayed asleep on the ride back to the house, staying asleep in mom's arms for another 1/2 hour. A busy day for a little guy on the water.

After waving to everyone on the boat, Bridget, Baxter, and I settled ourselves on the deck. I started ripping a flat sheet into the 2 1/2" squares needed for the jellyroll rug.

I divided them into length of the sheet - 5 pcs, again and again. Ripping outside meant the dust  fibres stayed outside.
You can see the pilling but underfoot you don't feel it!  I had some fun making Jelly Roll rugs from that old flannel sheet set that the Chatham kids gave me to use in whatever manner I wanted. Since it had pilling from years of use, I torn it into 2 1/2" strips and cut scraps of batting into 2 1/4" pieces and zigzagged those together but did the 45 degree sewing method(same as bind) on the flannel. 

Here's the round one from the sheet, I always was given a pilling green fitted sheet that I used as an accent colour within the design. This is in the laundry room and the dogs just love sunbathing on it when the door is open and flooded with the morning sunlight.

I'm now finishing with the flat sheet pieces trying out an oval rug with the same design elements as the round one. The real game changer is the Clover Jelly Roll clips that are used to hold the fabric/batting together as bias tape. A great Face Book/You Tube  is Clara's Creations, she explains and shows the technique beautifully, she has been my go to for this.

I've been busy cleaning and re arranging the sun porch for our annual tenant get together this weekend, rain or shine. If it rains everyone will be indoors and this offers another room to flow into.
Our Ontario, Kennon Place 1910 window glass has found its home in the sun porch. Bill has framed it permanently in place, catching the afternoon and sunset light.

With the bookcase moved out of the corner area, it created a larger sitting area around the corner(shown in first photo) This has always been my favourite three season room!
The mischief Gnomes are all located above the mirror now opening up the side board top.

And the Gnome Home has new bunting coming down and around it! I've also added many hen & chick plants that survived the winter and I'll add more as we change out the front garden with the birdbath. The solar light bulbs glow beautifully in the dark, bringing to life this vignette. 

Well, That's All Folks! Those of my age will remember Porky Pig lol

Thank you for dropping in for a visit and I hope you too savour the last of summer, the fastest season of the big four for me!

Wishing you health and happiness!

Hugs, 

Cynthia xXx 


 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment