Wednesday, May 10, 2023

May Is Marvelous!

 The snow has finally disappeared and bulbs are emerging out of the ground! Beautiful bright yellow daffodils, little purple hyacinths, snowdrops, & greenery from the many tulips!

The sun warms the day and the grass under huge snow drifts is turning green with the life of robins taking the worms from the thawing ground. I've seen 13 robins at one time on the back lawn! I love the robin, it is my spirit bird and makes me smile just looking at it dressed in its terracotta orange chest/vest.

I've been making a healthy alternative to a donut.

It is a baked donut & the pans were purchased at Canadian Tire during one of their sales & donut mix that I purchased at Shoppers Drug Mart on one of their sales. Everything is so expensive that purchases must be made on sale!

Back to the donuts...

The recipe called for 1 cup of vegetable oil, I always substitute unsweetened applesauce for oil, it is healthier & has a lot fewer calories with no fat!

I also spruce the chocolate donuts with chocolate chips, I'm the only one in our family that isn't crazy for chocolate but I do love butterscotch!

I spray the donut pans with Pam then add 1/4 cup of the mix & 6 chocolate chips. 

The donut mix package will make 18 donuts that can be frozen & thawed when needed.

Everyone seems to like them & did say more chocolate chips wouldn't be a bad idea. lol

I have a ready-made cake icing spread that can be added to, they liked that or the donut is placed in a bowl & topped with a scoop of ice cream.
The vanilla donuts were delicious with my homemade lemon curd!


The Blue Basket quilt is at the longarm & should be done this week, just in time for summer!
I have already put the bumble bee Irish chain quilt on the bed. This is such a short time of year for the warm season & it has started to kick off in a great way. We too have not had a lot of rain in April but not as dry as Nova Scotia as we had a lot of snow when it was that time to thaw.
Alberta is a terrifying place with all the wildfires & our kids are south of Edmonton & safe but the air quality must be horrid for that province. They did get rain yesterday, I hope it helps.

Bill & I have been outdoors cleaning the footpath through the woods to the bunkie, many trees that were rotten have fallen & Bill has taken some down that were rotten.
Donald is coming for May 24 weekend & will help take down the dead trees near the power lines & cut up the large stumps. The woods will get healthier with the air being able to travel through it, large rotten areas have been left for the small wildlife to eat bugs & take refuge.

We have named our property Beaver Moon as it was on that full moon that we took ownership of this 4.74-acre property that we now call home.

The bunkie has begun, we plan to keep it off-grid.  It is a step back in time & has brought back so many fond memories of my childhood at the cottage in Inverhuron.

This is the site for the bunkie, this picture was taken at the very beginning of April, yes we had a heavy wet dumping of snow.


This was taken this week! The snow is gone and the floor is now down for this cozy shed.
It was so warm that day, the winds came in from the south & the breezy winds warmed me.

The walls went up on day two.

The roof was added on day three, it has come together fast! The design is one that compliments our home with the slanted window & roof design.  It was much cooler on that day, with cold gusty winds & the water had white caps all through it!
Bridget & Baxter love running through the woods on the paths that have been made over the last couple of years. Beaver Moon is coming together.

The osprey & eagles flying over our property several times a day has Bill on guard with his camera but it is so hard to get the pic by only seeing these magnificent birds of prey for a few seconds.

My lungs are finally clear from the fluid that had built up & the duo antibiotics worked, I have not had antibiotics for 20+ years.  Bill is helping me nurse an earache with Polysorin ear drops.  I have to cover my ears from the wind & I have hung laundry outside without my hat on & it has irritated my ear. I get sharp pains but they too are subsiding with the ear drops. I must cover my ears when outside in the wind!

I am working on another quilt called Walkabout with Becky of Patchwork Posse. It is trees, houses, flowers, things you see on a 'walkabout'. I'm doing it in Americana fabric by Connecting Threads but mine will be in an Acadian feel to it for Acadia Day this August. I'll show more when it is together & the plans that I have for decorating it after it is quilted.

This is the colour palette of Walkabout, I made these from the cut-off scraps to the rooves & flower leaves, it will be made into a pillow or small tabletopper, once I add the borders.

The Seasons in Blue quilt is caught up until next month too!

April's block project.

May's block project.
This too is done with many of my blue scraps from past projects. I'm so glad that it too is scrappy!

Thank you for stopping by for a visit. I hope you are in good health as I know how it can put a wrench in your day when you don't have it. 
Spring is always so full of hope & happiness with the awaking of Mother Nature and all her colour & splendour that your eyes can feast upon awaking all your senses to make you feel so uplifted.

Wishing you health & happiness wherever you are!
Cynthia















\


Thank you for stopping in for a virtual visit!




1 comment:

  1. Hi Cynthia, your husband sure love to built. What will this building used for? I'm glad that your lungs have cleared up. Laboured breathing can wear a person out.

    The baked doughnuts sounds delicious. I have the desire to cook real doughnuts but when I think of all the cholesterol, I can't bring myself to make any, lol...

    Your quilt tops are all beautiful. You are very productive in the quilting department. I've been digging and planting, getting dirt under my fingernails but it's still unsettled weather with the hot and cold.

    Take care and enjoy the growing season.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete