Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Hot & Humid Summer Days :)

 The weather has been so hot & humid the last week but we have been spared with the downpour of rain that Nova Scotia has received. So tragic with the loss of life & the infrastructure damaged.

The garden has been loving the heat & humidity & is full of blooming plants!

Bill took this photo of me last week & the black hollyhocks are nearly 7 feet tall now!

This is a good year for them to show themselves as they only bloom every two years.
The delphiniums are so beautiful & the colour is spectacular to view.

Such a beautiful colour!!


We went for a walk yesterday through the woods & Bill noticed the lack of mosquitoes, I told him that at sunset last night there were at least one hundred dragonflies in the backyard feasting upon mosquitoes. I love dragonflies!

I finished the Spring Mystery quilt with Edyta Sitar of  Laundry Basket Quilts. Rose did a beautiful job on the quilting & I'm now working on the binding. 

The fun Jack O Lantern Lane Mystery SAL has only two more installments for the finished wall hanging.
I made my owl grey rather than the 'brown owl' & the button eyes I have been saving to make a stuffed cat but the owl needed them first. lol


I've heard & seen people making lavender wands so I gave it a try with my lavender.

I really enjoyed doing the fiddly work as the smell was so calming.

You have to work it quickly as the greens need to be pliable & the flower heads will wilt waiting too long.

Stems need to be long too, so the short ones were hung & will go into the linen closet.

I was able to make four wands & it's said that they will last for 3 yrs.

I started another sew-a-long with Lori Holt called Vintage Bee Quilt. 
Each week Mon-Wed-Fri a new block is released until all 20 blocks have been made, then the finishing of the sashing & cornerstones.

Week one finished block size will be 10"x10".

Week Two & I'm working on the third week now & will show it on your next visit.

Dresden Picnic QAL is nearly done, here is the quilt top sewn together, just one more week & it's done!


An aerial view from the foyer mezzanine, each center is a fussy cut pattern.
I'm going to have this one out at Christmas, it has Christmas colours but doesn't scream Christmas.
It was so good using my Kathy Schmitz fabric from the 2004 workshops when I was taking classes to learn to quilt. I loved the fabric then as much as now, it was called Bird In Hand though I didn't use any birds on the interior but plan to use the bird fabric in the sashing & borders.

Our Family Has Grown

Our eldest son has taken a job position with Kone Elevator NB & will live with us, he also has a miniature English Bulldog that has joined into our family. Baxter is doing so much better than we had anticipated, which has lessened the tension of the alfa dog.

It has gone from my love of New Brunswick to now Bill loving it, then Nick & his girlfriend moving here last year & Now Don & Gordo.
New Brunswick just feels like home & has since my first visit in 1994 with St. Andrews By The Sea and the wee cottage I purchased back in 2009 to spend my summer days creating quilts.
It is home to me & now 2 out of three sons live here. Mitch & Nicole have a gorgeous 10-acre property in Alberta that we enjoy visiting.

Things are always evolving day by day & such pleasant surprises have happened this summer!

Thank you for stopping by for a visit to this wonderful spot in Canada that we are all enjoying & do stop by again to stay caught up on this east coast lifestyle on Miramichi Bay.

Enjoy summer...five months today is Christmas!!! lol

Cynthia xXx




1 comment: