Thursday, April 7, 2016

Tatting On...

I went to another Tatting Meet this week & a friendly woman named Margaret took me under her wing and patiently walked me through a few stitches. She even wrote down a pattern for me after she taught me to make a very small dove. I missed three stitches & mine looked more like a bumble bee!
The art of tatting with a shuttle will come next...I feel like I did when I was first learning to drive standard. So much to remember & coordinate all at once. I did & still do drive standard & I'll master this too! lol

                How sweet is this wee slipper that Michele had done & brought for show & tell?!!
                                    Yes, I'm going to master this textile art form of Tatting!

Theory will inform, practice will convince! Our hostess Deana, gave me a pattern for Tatted Booties & told me it was an easy pattern...we'll see. lol

I went for a walk this week & found some finds on the way. It was garbage day & I'm a firm believe in recycling. Look what I found!
One dolly's highchair in perfect shape, two wicker wall scones, & to Rexon's delight, a cat tunnel complete with ball! These were not found all in one garbage but in several as the walk was 25 minutes, each way. I'm trying to burn off some of the city/winter fat, in a healthy way. I've also gotten back to the 'write before you bite' routine, so out of control with food & portion size. I've been to Weight Watchers twice, so I know the drill...just need to follow it!
How rewarding it felt to do the walk & find the finds!



Doll Making

Remember way back when I was making dolls, well my curls from brush cleaning had filled the box & it was time to make another doll. The doll on the left is she & the doll on the right, sporting her Richardson tartan, was made way back around 2004.

                                  It takes about three years to save enough hair for one full head.

 This has been a couple of years worth of curl saving. I clean my brush out (I'm the only user of the brush) twirl to twist the hair, then wrap it around my finger & spray it with hair spray. Then the single curl is put onto a crystal ring holder to dry & stored away in this miniature like hat box. When it gets full I use it up on the doll head, it takes a lot of hair & I laughed at the different shades of colouring that I've gone through. Very Blonde, dark brunette, light brunette & back to blonde, heading for very blonde again to making colouring this white hair of mine easier!
  

 As you can see she looks like a 'monk' with the hair still to come from my brush, she may not have hair till next year! But when she does, my DNA will be here long after I'm gone. lol

 I've been embroidering the leaves & applying them for auditioning, I'm not even 1/2 done so I'll show you more later as it processes more.

Cousin Ann gave me a bundle of Sweet & Sassy fat 1/4's a few years back & that's what her outfit will be made up of. I think she's going to be just that...Sweet & Sassy!

I'm sure glad I used my Airmiles points to purchase the Dyson Animal hand vacuum. I leave it in my bedroom & vacuum the comforter every night. These boys, Tommy & Mr. Boots sure enjoy their afternoon sleeps, on my bed!

It's been a busy week & the next four will fly by as I get ready to go home again. I can't wait to see my gardens that were worked on last year. Spring is so exciting as Mother Nature comes to life!

Thank you for stopping by for a visit & have a wonderful weekend!

A Nice Thought - That came in my fortune cookie!

A friend is a present you give yourself.




2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what you did with the tatting when it's finished. It does look a bit complicated.
    My granddaughter the artist also saved all her long hair from the brush and she made a project with it but I can't remember what it was, lol. It wasn't doll hair.

    Your dolls look very cute. How nice that you use your own hair for this. Mine are very short and I find them on the bathroom floor all the time.
    I'm not doing much these day and I just putter around after barn work. I so would like to be retired so I could sleep in once in a while. I've been painting a small nativity for about an hour every day and my eyes are not as sharp as they used to be. I find painting small details a bit challenging now.

    May is coming fast and then the mosquitos. I found one in the car last weekend.
    Have a great creative day.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your thought for the day - and your tatting attempts. I too tried tatting a few years back, and taught myself needle tatting but couldn't figure out shuttle tatting. Must talk to you about this tatting group - maybe I'll give it a try in retirement.

    ReplyDelete